The
topic of nuclear energy is plagued with controversy. There have been 99
accidents that have taken place at nuclear powered power generation plants as
stated in the Journal of Contemporary Asia
which leads to my argument that making use of radioactive material to generate
electricity by fission reaction is not suitable for Japan.
![]() |
| Anti-Nuclear Demonstration. Tokyo Japan |
Japan
is home to 50 reactors and while now thankfully
all have been temporarily shut down following the Fukushima
incident. It is likely only a matter of time before they become operational
again.
My argument is not to broadly state that nuclear fission based energy production is a danger to our society. My argument is to show with reference that nuclear fission based energy production is not a good solution for Japan for the following reasons:
Seismic Activity and Tsunami Zone
The abundance of faults in Japan makes determining a suitable location for nuclear power generation a very difficult task.
Storage of Spent Fuel and Waste Material
The amount of spent fuel at nuclear power plants will soon exceed the available storage capacity.
Processing
of Spent FuelThe amount of spent fuel at nuclear power plants will soon exceed the available storage capacity.
Japan has a policy of re-processing spent fuel domestically, however they have to date been unsuccessful in their attempts.

Interesting topic although your introduction is a little long, it probably needs "tightening" as Frank said yesterday. Your second and third sentences are probably a bit long too as they are harder to follow. Your plan to cover three issues is very good and I'm sure will lead to a clear outline of position. Happy writing!
ReplyDeleteThank you for your comment. I will go through the introduction more when I do a final revision.
DeleteI agree with Grace. Also you may want to distinguish between nuclear fission and nuclear fusion. The latter we don't have but it may hold out great potential in the future.
ReplyDeleteI realise this is in draft stage. So just bear in mind the comments for your final writing.
I will update the introduction to make this argument focus on fission reaction.
DeleteThis is not only a problem for Japanese society but may include other countries due to the contamination of huge areas of the Pacific Ocean. And not only that it has adverse effects on the environment as well. I agree with you in that nuclear energy is not a good solution. As you know this has become a huge issue recently so I think you've chosen a very good topic.
ReplyDeleteI agree, a disaster in Japan would impact the rest of the world. However, I have tried to focus my argument towards specific arguments as to why Japan should stop. If I go into the area of environmental damage I will go into this as well.
DeleteClearly as you have stated nuclear energy should not be used, have you thought about offering or suggesting an alternative energy source for Japan to use in place of nuclear energy?
ReplyDeleteGood start though
Alternative energy would be a very different piece of research and would not add to my argument. Stating that something else is better may not prove or add to my argument that nuclear energy is not a good option. To keep within the word limit I have had to keep this piece of work concise and to the point.
Delete